Saturday, June 12, 2010

Farmer's Market Bounty

It's a treat to pick up my CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) box at the farm in Sudbury. I can't wait to open it and do so as soon as I get to the car. I am excited to discover what goodies I will find. This week's bounty included arugula, baby bok choy, Swiss red chard, a variety of lettuces, some broccoli rabe, baby red ace beets and Easter egg radishes. I plan to make a salad with the arugula and add some of those beautiful red radishes with the first alliums of the season--scallions. Also included in the box were some hakueri turnips which I had never seen before. They are so sweet that I ate them as I was unpacking the vegetables.

The fun has only just begun as I contemplate how to cook these beautiful vegetables. Tonight I have decided to roast the beets and create a salad incorporating some local goat cheese that I bought in the Berkshires. In addition, I am making roasted chickpeas with garlic and chard.

Swiss chard is abundant from June until August. Look for it at your farmer's market this week as you poke around. Notice the other leafy greens that are making their appearance. You can never eat too many greens, and when you think that you have had enough, eat 20% more. Swiss chard comes from the same family as beets and spinach and both the leaves and the stalks are edible. It is filled with amazing vitamins and minerals-- loaded with vitamin K, A, and C. It also has potassium, iron, and vitamin E. It is a mega food.

Swiss Chard with Chickpeas and Garlic

1 cup cooked chickpeas
5 garlic cloves, peeled
1 large shallot
2 small bay leaves
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil


For the Swiss Chard

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
1 small red onion, diced
1 bunch Swiss chard, center stem cut, leaves coarsely torn
1 cup water or broth


Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine first 5 ingredients in 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss with the oil. Cover the dish with foil and roast until the garlic is tender, about 45 minutes.

In a skillet heat the oil and add garlic and onion. Cook until the onion is tender. Add the chard and cook for 2 minutes. Add the water, cover and cook until the chard is tender, about 10 minutes. Season the chard with salt and pepper.

Combine garbanzos with the chard in the skillet. Toss over medium heat until warmed through, moistening with more oil if needed.

Happy, healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment