Friday, May 28, 2010

HOW I EAT

Okay, I admit it—I’m an herbivore. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. There’s nothing to be ashamed of here, is there? In fact, I’m basically a vegan with a few touches of macrobiotics added for good measure. There are a lot of benefits to eating this way -- among them losing weight and having healthy glowing skin. But the best benefit is feeling and looking healthy.

When I began eating this way, I needed to throw out a lot of preconceived notions about healthy eating and dieting. None of the old diets fit anymore, and now I had to reprogram my way of thinking about food and health.

The way I eat is based on grains. Beautiful, whole grains are the foundation of my diet. I had always thought that grains were fattening, but I learned that whole grains, when cooked correctly, will not only make me healthy, but will also allow me to reach a comfortable weight. However, grains alone are not a balanced diet. I added vegetables, and lots of them —all kinds of vegetables, cooked in a multitude of ways. I have never met anyone who got fat or sick from eating vegetables. I made my vegetables into soups, I sautéed, stir-fried, blanched, deep fried, baked, broiled and even ate them raw. I added beans, tofu, or tempeh at least once a day, and I have discovered that there are foods in this world that I had never heard of.

Because fruit contains a lot of natural sugar, I try not to eat more than a serving a day. I have eliminated refined sugars from my diet, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t eat dessert. There are lots of desserts that can be made with brown rice syrup, barley malt, and maple syrup. I bake delicious cookies, cakes, and a chocolate mousse (to die for) that I eat several times a week.

I don’t eat meat, and I rarely eat fish. To make up for missing nutrients, I take vitamin B12 supplements. I also eat sea vegetables to get additional minerals. I always add good quality sea salt and oil to my cooking.

Eating wisely can have multiple benefits. You look better, feel better and live a healthier life.
So, happy and healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment