Thursday, March 18, 2010

Springtime Chickpeas


Spring is a wonderful time of year, and it is a season that makes me feel so good. It is a time of renewal, when I feel light and airy and ready to tackle any project that presents itself. So, when I looked in the cupboard this morning to take out some oats for breakfast and saw all these jars filled with beans and grains, I knew I had my work cut out for me. I had this urge to clean everything out and start anew. But where do I begin? I have jars filled with black beans, garbanzo beans, yellow and green peas, lots of different variety of lentils, brown rice, white rice, wild rice, black rice, risotto, pasta, and four different bags of polenta. I have whole oats, cracked oats, Scottish and Irish oats. There are cans of tomatoes, jars of red peppers, bags of chocolate, and jars of fruit preserves.

The large jar filled with garbanzo beans caught my eye. Since I haven't cooked with chickpeas in a while, I decided to begin by soaking some.

Chickpeas, otherwise known as garbanzo beans, have a sweet, nutty taste with a creamy texture. They are larger than a pea and have a bumpy surface. They are beneficial to the pancreas, heart, and stomach and are a great source of protein. These beans contain more iron than other legumes and, like all beans, are a great source of unsaturated fat. They also contain folic acid, manganese, and fiber. These little beans are round and lightly beige in color, although I've read that some can be darker in color. They are very popular in Mediterrean, Indian, African, and Middle Eastern recipes. They are one of the earliest cultivated plants and are said to have been in existence for 7,500 years. That is quite a bean!

Chickpeas with Grains

1 cup dried chickpeas or 2 cups canned drained
3 TBS olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp. dried rosemary
2 TBS tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1 large can chopped tomatoes with juice
6 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup grano (a small whole wheat grain) can also use dry pasta
1/3 cup cilantro or italian parsley

If using dry chickpeas soak them overnight in cold water. I usually add a small piece of kombu to the soaking water.

Heat the oil in a large pot and add the onion, garlic, and rosemary. Cook over low heat until the onion is soft. Stir in the tomato paste, tomatoes, and water. Add the chickpeas and bay leaf. Bring everything to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 1 1/2 hours or until the chickpeas are tender. Add salt and pepper. Add the grano or pasta to the pot and cook for an additional 30 minutes. At this point you might need to add more water to the pot. At the end add the cilantro or parsley and mix in. Garnish with some parsley. This is a thick stew.

No comments:

Post a Comment