Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Broccoli Soup with Croutons


Last night I was looking through the refrigerator hoping to be inspired to make something delicious for dinner when I spotted a loaf of whole grain seeded bread and I realized that I was in the mood for homemade croutons. But croutons alone does not a supper make, and that's when I noticed the broccoli. Perhaps creamy broccoli soup with croutons would make the beginnings of a tasty meal.


President George Bush once said: “I do not like broccoli. And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I'm President of the United States and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli.” President Bush's mother was correct when she told him to eat his broccoli. Broccoli has more nutrients than any other vegetable. Its nutritional punch includes vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin A, folic acid, calcium, and insoluble and soluble fiber. Broccoli and cauliflower look alike and belong to the cabbage family known as cruciferous vegetables. It was first known by its Italian name "broccolo" which means cabbage sprout. The strong sulfur smell that this vegetable releases while cooking can be lessened when it is cooked a shorter amount of time. I enjoy the mixed textures of broccoli. The stem is fibrous and firm while the florets are soft and creamy. Broccoli is versatile and can be prepared in a variety of ways. I have served broccoli raw with a dip, steamed or boiled, roasted with olive oil and garlic, sauteed with rice and other vegetables, and as a pureed soup.

The Croutons

4 slices whole wheat bread
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sea Salt

Slice the bread into cubes and place on a cookie sheet. Toss the olive oil and salt into the bread. Place in a 350 degree oven and toast for 10-15 minutes.

Creamy Broccoli Soup

2 TBS Oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 stalks celery
4 shallots, diced
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 small onion, diced
1 large head broccoli, chopped
1 bay leaf
3-4 cups water
salt and pepper to taste

Saute the shallots, onion, celery, thyme and garlic in the oil. Add some salt while this is cooking. Add the chopped broccoli and saute for about 5 minutes. Add the water and bay leaf. Add some salt and pepper, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
Puree the soup with an immersion blender. Stir and taste for seasoning. Serve with croutons on top and a drizzle of olive oil.

If you wish to thin it out a bit add 1 cup of almond milk. Or, try it both ways and decide which you like best.

Happy, healthy eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment