Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Grains Are Not The Enemy


I used to love to eat bologna sandwiches on soft, squishy white bread. I added lots of mayonnaise, and I would have a great lunch--or so I thought. If I was feeling really adventurous, I would tuck in some potato chips. Only later did I find out that there was nothing about that meal that nourished my body.

When I began to switch over to a plant-based diet, I eliminated some of the white foods that were so heavily featured at my meals. That meant that I didn't eat white bread, white potatoes, white rice or white flour products.

I made a commitment to eat a whole grain at one meal each day. I tried it for a month and began to feel differently. Sometimes I would have a plain, simple grain -- like short grain brown rice. At another meal I might add a grain to a soup. Cooking grains can be so simple, yet so delicious. I took it slowly, and my taste buds began to enjoy the flavors of these foods.

You might want to try these recipes.

Really Good Brown Rice

2 cups short or medium grain brown rice
4 cups water
salt

Wash or rinse your rice through a strainer. Repeat this a couple of times.

Put the rice in a pot and add the water and salt. Bring the water to a boil and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot leaving a small gap to keep the water from boiling over.

Let the rice cook 35 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the rice sit for about 5 minutes.

I also find that I like the texure of the rice better when I soak the grains for several hours before it is cooked. Try it both ways and see which suits you.


Fried Rice

Leftover brown cooked brown rice
1/2 red onion, sliced into half moons
1/2 yellow or red pepper, sliced thinly
1/2 carrot, sliced into thin matchsticks
1 TBS shoyu (or to taste)
A few tablespoons water
Some snow peas, sliced thinly
1 scallion, sliced
Olive oil or sesame oil

Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onion and pinch of salt and saute for a minute. Add the carrot and saute for 2 minutes. Add the red pepper. Add the rice and season with the shoyu. Stir everything together. Sprinkle the water over the top of the rice and place the snow peas on top. Cover and let it sit with the heat off for 5 minutes. Mix everything together and top with a sliced scallion.


Lentils and Brown Rice

11/2 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 cup lentils
1 carrot, diced
1 red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil
Scallions or parsley for garnish

Heat the oil in a pan. Saute the onion and garlic. Add some salt. After a few minutes, add the carrot and saute for another few minutes. Add the rice and stir. Add the lentils and stir. Season with salt and pepper and cook for another couple of minutes. Top with chopped scallions or parsley.


*Grains are divided into two groups: whole grains and refined grains. I try to never eat refined grains. Refined grains have been milled, which removes their bran and germ and in the process takes away dietary fiber, iron and many B vitamins. Whole grains, on the other hand, contain the entire kernel--the bran, germ, and endosperm. It is important to vary the grains that you eat.

**Here's an interesting tidbit about parsley and scallions. Parsley has vitamin C and vitamin K and antioxidants that benefit digestion and carotenoids, such as beta-carotene. Scallions, on the other hand, have vitamins A,B and C.

No comments:

Post a Comment