Wednesday, August 11, 2010

White Beans and tomatoes

Fagioli All'uccelleto
When I visited Tuscany in June, I fell in love with their cannellini beans with tomatoes.  I've tried several variations since my return home.  Tonight I made some white beans (not cannellini) and simmered them with several tomatoes and spices.  At the end of the cooking process, I added some fresh kale that I had just bought at the farmer's market.  Although I used dry beans and soaked them overnight, it is perfectly appropriate to use organic canned beans.  Like other beans, these pearled gems are low in fat and high in fiber, iron, folate, and magnesium.  They have lots of thiamine, which is great for brain power.  This dish gets an added punch from tomatoes.  At this time of year, tomatoes are plentiful and luscious.  When I think of the tomato, I think of lycopene which has been studied for its antioxidant and anti-cancer properties.  The addition of kale gives the dish an added boost of calcium, iron, lutein and vitamins A,C, and K.


White Beans and Tomatoes

2 cups cooked white beans
2-3 TBS olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 sprig sage
4-6 ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 cup kale, cut
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a large pot.  Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.  Add the garlic and saute for
another few minutes.  Add the tomatoes, sprig of sage, cooked beans and simmer for 30 minutes.  If the pot gets dry, add some water but let it cook down.  Add the kale and cook for another 10 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.  If you wish, you can add 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar just before serving. 






No comments:

Post a Comment