Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Fresh Garbanzo Beans



At the market this week, I noticed fresh garbanzo beans. At first I walked right past them and then reconsidered and bought a bag. The beans are tucked away in a green pod and reminded me of peas and edamame. Most of the pods house one bean but there were many with two. The first thing I notice as I am shelling is the color of the chickpea--it is green and not beige like its dried cousin. It is a time-consuming job to shell these beans, but I find it quite meditative. I found some recipes that called for keeping the beans in the pod and eating them like edamame, but being the obsessive compulsive type I painstakingly took each bean out of its pod. They have a grassy taste--try eating one raw.

For supper tonight, I have chosen to make a fresh spring salad from my loot of beans. After shelling the beans, I boil them in salted water, although they can also be steamed, until they are tender. With the leftover brown rice that I have from yesterday's lunch I will combine the garbanzo beans with the rice for a heartier salad.

The fresh garbanzo beans that are found in our markets are grown in Mexico. They are a great source of energy and provide iron,protein and fiber in our diet.

Fresh Garbanzo Bean Salad


2 cups fresh garbanzo beans
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1 garlic clove, finely diced
1/2 orange pepper, diced
1/2 cup chopped parsley
Juice from one large lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Cook the fresh chickpeas in salted boiling water for 15 minutes until tender. Drain and cool.

Make the salad dressing by combining the lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper with the olive oil. Add the onion, orange pepper, parsley, and beans. Combine. Let sit so that the flavors can meld together. Add additional salt and pepper if necessary.

A refreshing salad.

Happy, healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment